People are eager for all sorts of things, from good food to Christmas presents. But few are truly eager for the gospel of Jesus Christ. The purpose of this message is to raise our awareness of what God has done for us in sending his Son to die for our sins and make us eager for it.
Romans 1:15-17 So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.”
The basics of the gospel include the following:
- God is real and he is holy.
- Man has sinned and is condemned.
- Jesus died to provide full atonement for sinners.
- People who repent of their own works and trust Christ are saved.
- Be eager for the gospel.
- Don’t be ashamed of the gospel.
- Wield the gospel as the power of God.
- Trust Jesus and call people to trust Jesus.
- Glory in God’s righteousness, not your own.
- Why should we be eager about the gospel?
- How should we be eager about the gospel?