Sharing righteousness is not a concept most people are familiar with, but it is a gospel concept. In the gospel, the righteousness of God has been revealed, and his righteousness can be transferred to the accounts of guilty sinners. This is what happens when a person is saved by God, which means it is a very important concept to understand. In the words of a great hymn: “Clothed in his righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne. On Christ the solid rock I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.”
Romans 1:15-18 So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome. 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, “The righteous shall live by faith.” 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
1. What is righteousness, and specifically, the righteousness of God?
2. What does Paul mean when he says God’s righteousness is revealed?
Romans 3:21-22 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it—the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe.
Romans 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.”
3. Who needs God’s righteousness?
4. Why does everybody need God’s righteousness?
5. How do people get God’s righteousness?
6. What should we do to properly respond to the truth we’ve heard?
- Verify that you are trusting the right person in the right way.
- Denounce your own righteousness.
- Do not allow your unrighteousness to stop you from trusting Christ.
- Live by faith in Christ.